Thursday, April 15, 2010

Pie ala memoir + other edible books

"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested" is a quote attributed to Sir Francis Bacon that is "oh-pun-ly" celebrated each year at the Seattle Edible Books Festival. Entries for this annual contest included quips such as Look Me in the Pie.



As a benefit for the Seattle Center for Book Arts, the festival drew 130 entries. Entrants of all ages brought cakes, cookies, even lumpia (as in Jhumpa Lahiri) to the Chapel Space in Wallingford on April 10. Entries were judged by Seattle City Librarian Susan Hildreth, the Gastronaut Jay Friedman, Cynthia Lair, Cookus Interruptus, and Seattle Times book editor Mary Ann Gwinn. The audience also got to vote for Best in Show. The official results are posted on the Seattle Edible Book Festival blog. The unofficial awards of my own are as follows.



(Sound of envelope opening and card being drawn out) The award for "Most delectable in case I ever say 'I'll eat my hat'" goes to Alice in Wonderland.




The award for "What I would most like to eat with my morning coffee" goes to The Audacity of Toast.




And, finally, the award for "Most profound fortune cookies with edible rice paper" goes to Circles of Confucian. My fortune read "Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes."

No comments: