Saturday, October 04, 2008

Beard Papa opens in Uiwajimaya

Beard Papa finally opened their food court location in the I.D. Uwaijimaya. First impressions: Good, but not great. And, at $2.35 a piece, tax included, not making my list of good cheap eats I crave. The pastry shell is roughly a skosh smaller than a hockey puck. It's flaky but not as light and airy as I thought it would be. The custard filling that they inject into the pastry shell when you order is whipped creamy goodness with a bright vanilla flavor.

This Beard Papa was serving only the vanilla custard flavor. I've never been to Beard Papa so I checked out their website. They serve eight flavors! Here's hoping this I.D. Beard Papa gets up to speed in the quality and variety I have heard about in other cities that have made Beard Papa such a success.

My benchmark for custard-filled pastry puffs was set by Liliha Bakery in Honolulu . If you speak the local pidgin English, the cocoa puffs made daily by the thousands are "broke da mout' ono kine grindz," i.e., intoxicatingly delicious custard puffs that leave you speechless and begging for more. Liliha Bakery is one of those places that people say nobody goes there anymore because the line to order your cocoa puffs - at least a dozen at a time - is way too long.

Beard Papa has opened seven locations in Honolulu , according to the company website. I've not been to any those but here's a tip o' the hat to The Tasty Island, a Honolulu food blog, for their news that Beard Papa Hawaii serves up savory as well as sweet puffs. Tasty Island reviewed Beard Papa’s Barbecue Kalua Pork Puff with Pineapple Coleslaw and the Breakfast Puff made with cheese, egg and your choice of bacon or spicy sausage.

No comments: