Friday, October 16, 2009

This is your grandmother's cooking

The Quote of the Day comes from The Taste of Grandma’s Frugality by Michelle Slatalla (published: October 12, 2009, NYT):

"Here we are, more than 70 years after my grandmother learned to cook, in another era of economic uncertainty. And as a fickle economy stutters and changes its mind daily about whether we’ll ever feel financially secure again, the only food I really want is hers."

Whether you called your grandmother bubbie, nonna, or as I did, obachan, their simple meals still bring comfort whenever we taste them again.

I had to pull this quote because it made me think my friend Pat's book, published this month by Sasquatch Books, couldn't have come at a better time. The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook: Home Cooking from Asian American Kitchens by Pat Tanumihardja is filled with recipes and stories handed from one generation of Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, Vietnamese, and Indian mothers to the next.

Pat also has a blog named the same as the book that's also great read and full of recipes.

No comments: