Monday, July 27, 2009

Fresh summer dish ideas

My favorite food words of the moment are caprese and frittata. The heirloom and cherry tomatos and basil I bought at the U-District Farmers Market last weekend are just the thing for heat wave weather.

The caprese sandwich couldn't be easier to satisfy a hungry soul. Between slices of your favorite crusty bread, ciabatta, perhaps, layer fresh tomato slices (I used a bright yellow brandywine), fresh basil, fresh mozzarella. Make two layers. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil and sherry vinegar. Season with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. It's ready to eat or heat with a panini press.

Frittatas with the same trio of fresh tomatos, basil and mozzarella are one of the quintessential summer dishes. I used bright red and yellow cherry tomatos bursting with sweet and tangy juices combined with chiffonade basil. Throw in as much as the eggs can handle. I added the fresh mozarella just before putting the frittata in a preheated 350 degree oven. I took it out when I could smell the wonderful flavors and see the golden crisp top.

Easy to prepare, eaten hot or cold, take the frittata al fresco or take it to work for lunch like I do. I like to make it on a Sunday and then save it to take a couple of slices to work on Monday. Like the Boomtown Rats, I don't like Mondays, but at least my lunch will make me smile.

For two different takes on frittatas, see Mark Bittman's recipe and Alton Brown's recipe.

No comments: