Sunday, August 29, 2010

Local island veggies make tasty tacos

breakfast tacos by Honolulu Mark
I'm enjoying the tomatoes from Ho Farms, Kahuku, Hawaii, especially the cherry tomatoes. Today I used them fresh as the star of these tacos pictured above. Their bright, juicy flavors are complemented by fresh, local eggs, scallions and onions from neighborhood farmers markets.

The sweetness with a little bit of tartness makes these cherry tomatoes perfect for salads as well as slicing then sautéing them in extra virgin olive oil, oinion, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, until their juices produce a simple, wonderful pasta sauce.

To make these three tacos, I diced and sliced up about a half to three-fourths cup of onions and cherry tomatoes. In a little extra virgin olive oil I let two garlic cloves sizzle a bit, then added the onions, cooking until softened and lightly browned, sea salt and pepper to taste. In a separate pan, I scrambled two eggs with a dash of nam pla (fish sauce) and a handful of chopped scallions. To finish, I built the tacos as shown in the photo and topped with the cherry tomatoes.

Having recently returned home to Honolulu, I'm excited to discover fresh, local ingredients for the simple meals I love to cook.

1 comment:

Alessandra said...

Hi, first time here, I saw your name on Herbivoracious and I was curious. I live in New Zealand but I ma in Italy at present (my home country), I have been to Hawaii... Just amazing!!!!

So, I just wanted to say hallo and keep on blogging, I'll be back to see how food is in Hawaii!

ciao

Alessandra