Friday, January 22, 2010

The mystery of Jesuit custard



The Pic of the Day is from my recent trip back to hometown Honolulu. I was ambling through Ala Moana Center, an open air shopping mall with 300 retail stores and restaurants when I snapped this photo. The unusual name is what drew me to eating it.

The Japanese bakery St. Germain is known for it's delicate and decadent desserts. Jesuit custard is a sublime example of their wares. It's a light and flaky custard-filled pastry that's buttery in every bite. So far, I've only asked one Jesuit priest if he had enjoyed this custard before and why it would be named after his order. He had not had the pleasure but said he would ask his brothers if they did. So it remains a delicious mystery to me why they are called Jesuit custards. I wonder, are there Franciscan scones? Dominican budino?

1 comment:

TonyD said...

This looks like a "custard jesuite" that I used to eat at a French bakery. So I looked that up:

Jesuite is a gourmet French pastry, which receives it's name from the triangular shape of the hat worn by the Catholic Jesuit priests. Made in France, this buttery and flakey pastry is filled with creamy vanilla custard, and is typically served topped with powdered sugar.